When you think of wigs, it is likely that you are thinking of full top wigs. This type of wig covers your entire head, and you don’t leave any of your natural hair out. You can use them if you want to change your look because you can change the length of your hair, its style, and its color.
Full front wigs are made in different ways. They can have closures or frontals. They provide a natural look when they are worn correctly. It is easier to maintain closure wigs, so they tend to be more popular.
People who are going through cancer or suffering from alopecia often choose this type of wig. It helps to hide hair loss, and they can use this type of wig with very little natural hair. People who have hair also choose this type of wig because it protects the natural hair.
Lace Frontal Wigs
Lace frontal wigs are very popular because they are versatile and the hair looks as if it is growing out of the scalp. They are used to create the hairline from ear to ear. They come with the hair sewn in or bonded. They are usually 4” to the back and 13” across, and you can style your hair in different methods by creating parts on the side or in the center as well as ponytails.
There are several benefits to choosing lace frontal wigs. First, they are easy to install, as it takes less than an hour. Once it is installed, you can style it however you want. You have a natural hairline, so you can make use of any style. Another benefit is that this type of wig allows your natural hair underneath to breathe. It is comfortable, and it allows air flow to your scalp and hair so that you don’t get too hot.
On the other hand, there are a few drawbacks. Lace frontal wigs can damage your hairline. You need to use glue or lace tape to install them, and they last from two to four weeks. They can irritate your skin and damage your hairline. When you first install it, you will work hard to achieve the natural look you want. If the hair is sewn in, it will require more maintenance. Finally, it is more expensive than other types because it does have a very natural look.
Lace Closure Wigs
Another type of full top wig is the lace closure wig. This type of wig has a defined hair style, and it usually comes in a 4” by 4” size. You can choose from different styles, including a free part, a middle part, or a three-part style. People often choose the free part because you can choose where you part your hair.
The benefits of using a closure wig are that they don’t require as much maintenance. You just need to wash, condition, and style it. The closure wigs also tend to last longer if you take care of them. They are better in warmer weather because you don’t need to glue them. They don’t damage your hair. People often choose them because they are easier to use.
However, you don’t have the same versatility when you style your hair. You only have three choices, and you won’t be able to have a ponytail. They don’t fit as snugly as frontals, so there are some wigs that may not fit you. Finally, as your hair grows in, it will grow with your wig and push it up out of the way.
Full-top wigs have the following features:
- Resembles natural hair
- Can be styled
- Can last six to twelve months with proper care
- Doesn’t show natural hair
- Is great choice for people suffering hair loss
A half-top wig is often used when people want to add volume to their fine hair. This type of wig covers part of your head, and they are called half wigs, half head wigs, three-quarter wigs, or half-and-half wigs. No matter which one you choose, it can add volume, length, and glam to your natural hair. They are easy to install, and they blend with your natural hair.
Hair Top Wig
A hair top wig, also called a hair topper, is a partial wig that can cover different parts of your hair. It blends with your natural hair, and you can secure it with combs or clips. You can choose whether you want to cover the front of your head, your crown, or the back. They come in different colors, lengths, and sizes, so your options are unlimited.
The hair topper works well if you want a realistic look that adds volume or length to your hair. You can hide thinning hair, and they are comfortable and easy to use. It doesn’t damage your natural hair.
A half wig is similar to a half topper wig, but it is different. It covers the back of your head. The front of your hair will still show, and it can add volume and length to your hair. You can use a headband to hide the transition between the half wig and your natural hair. People choose this type of half wig when they want to add volume and length.
The half top wig has the following features:
- Adds volume, length, and glam to your hair
- Is easy to install with clips or combs
- Allows you to style your hair
- Helps conceal thinning hair
A bangs wig is a wig that allows you to have different types of bangs. Many people choose this type of wig when they want to wear a style with bangs without having to cut their natural hair. Bangs can be very stylish, and you can make quite a statement when you choose them. This is also a great way to change your look. It can add a lot of style to a ponytail or other simple style.
Bangs also cover the hairline if you are wearing a wig. This is a huge benefit for some people, especially if they are new to wearing wigs. It can take some time and experience to learn how to conceal the hairline.
Benefits of Wearing a Bangs Wig
There are many benefits to wearing a wig with bangs. First, you have endless styling options. You can create blunt straight bangs, or you can pin them back. You can have longer bangs off to the side. You can find a style of bangs to complement any hairstyle you choose.
Another benefit is that you won’t have to cut your natural hair. When you cut bangs, they require time and effort to style them and keep them looking the way you want them to. When you choose a wig with bangs, you don’t have to worry about it. You only have to style the bangs after you wash the wig, and they will be ready for use daily.
Bangs can highlight your face and enhance your best features, and you can remove the wig if you want a change. You can also use a bangs wig to try out a style before you commit by cutting your hair.
Bangs wigs have the following features:
- Is easy to use
- Conceals hairline
- Allows variety of bangs styles
- Can choose half-top or full-top wig style
Another popular type of wig is the ponytail wig. There are several different ways to achieve this style, so it is important to consider your goals. A regular wig is made with the wefts of hair sewn in a grid pattern, and the wefts face downward.
However, when they make a ponytail wig, the wefts are sewn in facing up instead. They have different types of ponytail wigs to choose from, including a regular ponytail wig or a sport ponytail wig. You can also choose a ponytail that clips into your hair if you want to add length. Finally, you can choose a full frontal wig and style it in a ponytail.
Sport Ponytail Wig
A sport ponytail wig is made with human hair, and it has the wefts of hair sewn facing upwards. This makes it easy to create a ponytail. With this type of wig, you can also wear your hair down. It is different from a full wig because it doesn’t have hair on the hairline; rather, it has a soft velcro strip that helps you secure a headband or scarf around the head. People often use them in the summer, and they come in different sizes, lengths, and colors.
A ponytail wig is made with the wefts facing upwards, and there is hair all the way to the hairline. You don’t need to use a headband with this type of wig. You can create a lot of different styles with this type of wig, so it is better in more formal situations.
If you want to simply add length and fullness to your ponytail, you can use a clip-in ponytail. This type of ponytail simply clips into your hair to add fullness or length to your ponytail. This is a simple way to choose the style of your ponytail.
Full Frontal Wig
You can also create a ponytail with a full frontal wig. This is a more permanent full head wig, but it has a natural hairline and you can choose how you want to style your hair. Your natural hair doesn’t show at all. Once you install the wig, you can style your hair in a ponytail as you would your natural hair.
If you want to choose a ponytail wig, you have a lot of options. You can choose a clip-in ponytail or an actual ponytail wig. You can choose a ponytail wig that can only be styled in a ponytail or one that can be worn down. Finally, you can choose a full frontal wig that can be styled in different ways, including a ponytail.
Take a look at the following features:
- Is easy to style
- Is a quick way to add volume and length to your ponytail
- Offers different types of wigs to choose from
- Looks very natural
In the heat of the summer, people are often looking for hairstyles that help them stay cool. There are other reasons to wear a bun, such as dancing, exercise class, or a night out. You can choose a frontal wig and make a bun yourself, or you can choose bun attachments that come in every style you can think of. You can create a messy bun, a low bun, side buns, or an updo that is striking for a night out.
They come in different colors and styles, so it is easy to find the perfect one for you. Bun attachments can connect with combs, clips, and more. Another way to attach them is with a scrunchie made of hair. It will be the same color, and it goes around the messy bun.
Bun hairpieces are popular with dancers and other performers. They match your natural hair, and they allow you to easily create a style that looks great. You might have a bun that is surrounded with braids or one that has curly hair showing. You can also create updos in any style you want.
These hairpieces attach using clips or combs. It is easy to add them into your hair. You style your natural hair into a ponytail or a bun, and then attach the bun wig where you want it.
You can also take a full frontal wig and create a bun. This type of wig allows you to style your hair because it has a natural hairline, and it stays in place. You need to know how to style a bun, but you can do it and it will look natural.
Bun wigs have the following features:
- Adds a bun to your hairstyle easily and quickly
- Attaches with combs or clips
- Comes in range of styles and colors
Hair extensions are a popular way for people to add length and volume to their hair. Hair extensions are usually made from human hair that is taken from a donor. They can also be made with synthetic hair, which is fine, plastic fibers that look like human hair.
Real hair will last longer; in fact, they can last up to a year if you take care of them. It can be styled and treated as you would your natural hair. There are many different types of hair extensions that you can get. You need to understand how they differ so that you can choose the style that is best for your hair.
Clip-in Hair Extensions
Clip-in extensions are also called clip-in wefts, and they are attached with fabric or silicone. You just clip them in where you want to add volume. They are not permanent; you can add them and remove them as you wish. They only take about fifteen minutes to put in. They do the least amount of damage to your hair as well. They are the most popular type of hair extensions on the market.
Tape-in Hair Extensions
These hair extensions are similar to clip-in hair extensions, but they are pre-taped. You tape or glue them on the sides of your own hair. People often have them installed by a professional who can align them with the roots of your natural hair. They use a heated tool to heat up the glue and place them in your hair. It takes about 40 minutes, and they can be reused as long as they are in good condition.
When you have this type of hair extension, you need to be careful when you are shampooing and styling. The hair is fine, but be careful of the tape or glue near the roots. They are considered semi-permanent, and they will last between four and eight weeks before you need to reapply them.
Sew-in Hair Extensions
This type of hair extension is also called a weave. First, the hair is braided into cornrows, and then the extensions are sewn in with a needle and thread. You usually need thicker hair to hold them, and it can take several hours to put them in. This will make your hair a bit heavy, and it should be done by a professional.
This type of hair extension is permanent and seamless, as the hair is sewn to your own hair, and it won’t come out. They last between six and eight weeks.
Fusion and Prebonded hair Extensions
This type of hair extension is fused to your natural hair, normally using glue. It takes three to four hours to apply, and you should have a professional do it for you. This process is damaging to your natural hair, as they use a device that is similar to a hot glue gun to put the extensions in your hair.
You can treat it the same way you would your real hair, and you need to reposition the extensions every two to three months. It can cause your natural hair to break and fall out.
Microlink Hair Extensions
This type of hair extension is applied using small wefts of hair that are attached to your natural hair with a small silicone lined bead. The professional uses a special tool that holds the hair in place. There is no glue or heat involved, but it can still damage your hair if it isn’t installed correctly. It takes two to four hours to apply them, and they last up to four months.
Hair extensions have the following features:
- Comes in several different types of hair extensions
- Can damage your hair
- Ranges from temporary to semi-permanent to permanent
- Comes in many colors and lengths to choose from
1 ｜Six Factors to Consider When Choosing Wigs for Women
At one time, if a woman was wearing a wig, everyone knew it immediately. Wigs just weren’t made that well, and they often looked “fake” regardless of who was wearing them. Today, that is no longer the case. When it comes to wigs, not only are the hairstyles much more realistic-looking than ever before, but the hair itself also looks better. This is partly because they often use real hair instead of synthetic hair, even though the synthetic hair now looks extremely realistic.
If this is your first time to purchase a wig, you likely have a lot of questions. Are they comfortable? How do they fit on my head? Will they stay on my head? How do I take care of them? How expensive are they? One thing is certain when you’re researching wigs – you have a lot of selections available, but before you make your final decision, you have to first learn a little about wigs themselves. To help you get started, we’ve put together a total of six factors you should take a look at before you start looking, and these six things should make all of your decisions a lot easier.
1-1｜Why Do Women Wear Wigs?
Women wear wigs for many different reasons, and just so you know, wigs are not just for women with thinning hair or who are going bald. Wigs for women are a way for them to change their hairstyle and enjoy something different for a change. While some women wear wigs occasionally or just for special occasions, others wear them all the time. There are numerous reasons why women wear wigs, including the following:
- It saves money in the long run. This may sound odd since wigs tend to be on the expensive side, but when you wear wigs regularly, you save money on trips to the hair salon. That’s right, no more going in every four to six weeks for a trim or a hair color. All of that can be avoided when you wear a wig.
- It allows you to change your hairstyle whenever you like. We’ve all heard that women with straight hair want curly hair and vice versa, but a wig lets you change your hairstyle any time you like. You can go from long to short and curly to straight any time you want to, giving you a certain amount of freedom when it comes to your hair.
- It can actually protect your natural hair. When you wear wigs, your hair won’t suffer the damages associated with blow-drying, straightening, or using a curling iron. Because of this, your hair remains in better shape month after month, giving you the peace of mind you deserve.
- It saves you time. When you get up in the morning, fixing your hair can take up to an hour or more, but that won’t be the case when you wear a wig. In the morning, you’ll automatically have an hour or so that you wouldn’t have if you had to do your hair, and that makes a big difference in your outlook for the rest of the day.
As you can see, there are a lot of reasons why women may choose to wear wigs these days, and because they come in so many types, styles, and prices, it doesn’t have to be difficult to find the wig you love most. As a matter of fact, your only difficulty may be in deciding which of the hundreds of wigs will work best for you in the end!
1-2｜The Net: What Is it and Why Does it Matter?
The base of the wig is called the net, and by far the lightest and most comfortable of these bases is the nets that are handmade; in other words, the hairs are all sewn in individually by hand. You can wear these for longer periods of time and they are extremely comfortable, but they are somewhat expensive as well. Other types include bases/nets that use both handmade and machine-made options depending on what part of the base you’re talking about. These are actually the most common types and what most wig-wearers usually end up buying.
The important thing to remember is that most wigs, regardless of which part you’re thinking of, are made either by hand, by machine, or a combination of both. Both of these factors affect the comfort of the wig, the way it fits, and the price, which is why you’ll want to pay close attention to how the wig you’ve chosen is made. These factors ultimately affect how satisfied you are with the wig for as long as you own it.
1-3｜Factor 1: Synthetic Wig or Real Human Hair Wig?
This is usually the first question women ask themselves when they are looking for the perfect wig. To sum it up, when you want a more natural look and a wig that looks more realistic, you’ll want a wig made of natural human hair. On the other hand, if your budget is your main concern, you should probably choose a synthetic wig because they are a lot less expensive. That being said, synthetic wigs are being made better and better all the time, so you should never shy away from natural wigs just because you’re afraid of what they might cost.
First of all, wigs are available in three different categories. The first is mass-produced wigs, which of course are always synthetic wigs. The second is semi-custom wigs, which are mostly synthetic but can be natural hair as well. Finally, there are the custom-made wigs, which are always made out of human hair. As far as human-hair wigs go, they are made out of the real tresses of real women, who usually sell their hair to various companies that then turn around and make the wigs. Wigs made out of human hair are also made by individually tying each piece of hair to a nylon mesh cap. The cap, however, can vary according to the manufacturer.
Since human hair has to be purchased from women, and since it is made by tying the strands individually to the cap, they are naturally quite expensive. In fact, natural wigs can cost up to $500, sometimes more. Wigs can be made with a mono-filament cap, which is the most natural-looking type of wig. The cap can consist of hand-tied tresses on the top of the cap and tresses that are machine-wefted on the sides and back, or the entire cap can be hand-tied. An advantage of wigs that are hand-tied is that you can do much more with them while caring for them, since the strands are more versatile and adjustable.
On the other hand, synthetic wigs are much less expensive and are made out of a variety of synthetic materials. They are usually mass-produced and if you get close enough to the wig, you can tell that it isn’t made from real human hair. Another difference between synthetic and natural wigs is how long they last. Natural wigs can last quite awhile, depending on how well you take care of it, as it can be washed and styled just like your own hair can. Synthetic wigs usually don’t last that long and in fact, over time they can start to show real wear and tear that will cause many women not to use them anymore.
Occasionally, synthetic wigs can be custom-made, and this will sometimes happen when women lose their hair because of chemotherapy, illnesses such as Alopecia, and other situations. These wigs are usually made out of mono-fiber, kanekalon, or pro-fiber synthetic hair, or a combination of two or more of these. If you pay attention to the instructions and learn to care for synthetic wigs properly, they can last a little longer.
1-4｜Factor 2: The Type of Cap Used in the Wig
The cap is what the hair attaches to, and there are many different types. While there is some overlap between them, here are the four basic types of caps for wigs:
- Lace-front wig caps. These caps cover the whole head and look just like the strands of hair are coming out of your natural hairline. They can extend ear-to-ear or temple-to-temple, and they look very natural, which means no one has to know you’re wearing a wig. They are easy to pull on and remove, and they come ready to wear. You can even pull the hair on one of these wigs away from your face just like you do your own hair.
- Mono-filament wig caps. Sometimes called mono caps, one of the biggest advantages of these wigs is that you can part the hair any way you want to, which people tend to love. They are made out of a mesh material and offer a lot of versatility when it comes to styling options. There is a downside, however. When women have sensitive scalps, these wigs can be uncomfortable. If you want a wig made with a filament cap, opt for a double-filament cap instead of the mono-filament type.
- Hand-tied wigs. Although expensive, these are great wigs because the entire cap is usually hand-tied. This means that not only are these wigs more comfortable, but they have a more natural feel, fit better, and even look and move like real hair. When it comes to natural-hair wigs, the ones that are 100% hand-tied are the best ones to choose, although they do make wigs that are hand-tied only at the top of the cap.
- Basic wig caps. There are four main types of basic wig caps: traditional weft cap, standard cap, open weft cap, and classic cap. In most cases, the hair that goes on basic caps is sewn into strips of material and then wefted together to look like real hair. Basic caps are durable, very affordable, and pre-teased at the roots, giving the wig an instant voluptuous and ready-to-go look.
When researching wigs for women, it’s good to consider what type of cap you want because they are all different. Naturally, the way the cap is made is going to affect the comfort, price, and the durability of the wig, which is why knowing these things is so important. If you go into a wig shop, their experts can show you firsthand the differences between all of these caps, which will make it much easier for you to decide for yourself which one is right for you.
1-5｜Factor 3: Make Sure You Choose the Right Size
Much like any other beauty product, wigs come in many different sizes. Most wigs on the market today are offered in all different sizes, but you should probably go ahead and take your head measurement before you start shopping for the perfect wig. If a wig doesn’t fit properly, it can be terribly uncomfortable and may even slip off at the wrong time. To avoid all of these things, it’s good to know how to measure your head so that you get a perfect-fitting wig in the end.
Different parts of a wig require different measurements. To make this simpler to understand, just know that before you go shopping for a wig, you should measure your head in six different ways, as described below.
- Measure the circumference of your head. To do this, place the tape measure at the center of your forehead, then move it toward the nape of your neck, making sure it fits over the ear. Continue moving it to the starting point while making sure the tape measure fits above the ear. Once you get back to the starting point, remove the tape measure and check the number.
- Measure front to back. Start with the tape measure at the hairline on the center of your forehead, then bring it over the back of your head until you reach the nape of the neck. Make sure you’re measuring from the center of the forehead to the center of the nape of the neck, then remove the tape measure and check the number.
- Measure across your forehead. Start with the tape measure just above one ear. Then, pull it across the forehead and down again until it reaches the other ear. The next thing you’ll do is remove the tape measure and check the number.
- Measure over the top of your head. To do this, place the tape measure just above one ear. Then, pull it across the top of your head all the way until it reaches the top of the other ear. This will be your measurement.
- Measure across the back of your head. Start by placing the tape measure on one of your temples, right next to the end of the eyebrow. Bring the tape measure around the back of your head and all the way around to the other temple. This is the number you’re looking for.
- Measure the nape of your neck. To start with, place the tape measure right underneath one of your earlobes, then bring it around the bottom of your head in the back (the nape of your neck) until it reaches just below the other earlobe. Check the tape measure to get the correct number.
Different wigs will require different measurements, and their wigs will range from extra-small to extra-large, depending on the number. Since the number that is required is different for each brand, you should go ahead and learn all six numbers so that you can make sure you get the best-fitting wig.
1-6｜Factor 4: The Texture and Style of the Wig
If you’re like most people, you won’t be wearing your wig on a daily basis, but whether you wear your wig twice a year or every single day, that decision will affect the type of wig you end up choosing. Wigs with fancy hair styles aren’t usually meant for everyday use but rather, for more formal occasions only. To start with, always consider where you’ll be most of the time when you’re wearing your wig. If you’re going to be at work most of the time, the style you’ll need will likely be different than it’ll be if you’re going to be using your wig only for parties and time out on the town.
For example, if you prefer a straight look, go ahead and buy one that is straight so that you don’t have to straighten it every time you go somewhere. If you love thicker, fuller hair, just remember that it may take some regular maintenance for your hair to stay that way most of the time. Heavy wigs also tend to be hard to handle and can even knot up regularly, so that’s something else to keep in mind. You should also think about your own hair. If your natural hair is thick, you should consider buying a wig that is lighter and thinner than your own hair so that it doesn’t get too hot while you’re wearing it. If your hair is thin, don’t get a wig that is too thick because it can make the hair on the wig look a lot less natural. Instead, just get a wig with hair that is slightly thicker than your own.
With all of these features, consider your lifestyle and choose a wig that will fit that lifestyle – not the other way around. If you find a wig you love but it’s one that will need a lot of maintenance every day, don’t assume that you’ll be willing to start spending that kind of time on the wig when you don’t even do it on your own hair. Be honest so that you don’t buy a wig that you end up hating and never wearing, which is only a huge waste of money.
1-7｜Factor 5: The Color of the Wig
Since many women choose to buy a wig because they wish to change the color of their hairdo, you might assume that all wig-wearers want a wig in a different color than their own, but this isn’t necessarily the case. Many women simply want to change their hairstyle or even the length of their hair, not their actual hair color. Fortunately, when it comes to wigs, the sky is the limit with the colors they offer because they truly offer something for everyone.
If you wish to change the color of your hair, make sure the color you choose looks natural against your skin. To do this, choose the color you like, then place the wig next to your face wearing no makeup and while you’re in some type of natural light (no fluorescents!). If your face looks dull or washed out, that wig isn’t the color for you. When you place the hair next to your face, your skin should look natural and supple. If it looks faded in any way, or if something just doesn’t look right, move onto another color.
Many women choose to buy a wig that’s in their natural hair color, then a few others that are one or two shades lighter or darker. If you do this, you’ll have several wigs you can wear that each give you a different look, but each one will vary only slightly and therefore people will barely notice that you look a little different. If you can afford to do this, it isn’t a bad idea. But if you do it, make sure the colors don’t vary too much; for instance, you don’t want to be a blonde one day and a brunette the next! That’s a little too noticeable!
If you aren’t sure what color to pick, consider this: the base color should match your eyebrows. This is true except when you want to go blonde. If you wish to go blonde, you’ll want to have some darker rooting so that it matches your natural skin tone and to add some dimension to the blonde hair.
Highlights are another option. Highlights do three things: create some depth, enhance a great haircut, and add dimension to the wig. If you’re going to put some highlights in the wig, remember these things:
- Place subtle highlights below the ears and around the face area.
- Make sure the highlights aren’t too “chunky” or have noticeable lines of demarcation because this makes the wig look unnatural and unrealistic.
- Choosing a sun-kissed look means you’ll get depth and movement, giving the wig a more modern look.
If all this sounds too complicated, not to worry. If you aren’t comfortable with placing highlights or hair dye in your wig, just get a hairdresser to do it for you. You usually don’t get charged too much to do this, and it is guaranteed to look great in the end.
1-8｜Factor 6: The Length and Cut of the Wig
Wigs for women come in dozens of styles and lengths, but there are a few things you should remember before you automatically buy one that is a length you think you’ll love. For starters, there is the practical side of the issue. While long hair is fun if you’ve never been able to have long hair before or simply because you love long hair, you should also keep in mind that long hair needs more maintenance and, when it comes to wigs, can get knotted or tangled up more easily. With short hair, you don’t have that problem nearly as often.
While some people assume that long hair doesn’t look good on an older woman, older women can wear chin-length hair and it looks elegant on them. Women with broader shoulders should stick with a cut that is not too wide, and make sure the length is rounded a little in the back and ends just below the shoulder. On the other hand, if you’re a petite woman, you should choose a wig that is lighter and shorter because otherwise, it may present an overbearing or overwhelming look that might get you noticed in the wrong ways.
If you’re curious about bangs, most women do look good in them; however, they still tend to look better in women that have high foreheads and longer, oval-shaped faces. As a general rule, wider bangs look better on women who have narrow faces and narrower bangs look better on women with wider faces. Once you learn a few tricks such as these – and a hairdresser can give you additional tips – it’ll become much easier to decide which cut and length looks best on you.
2｜Choose Wig Hairstyles by Your Face Shape
If you decide you’d like to buy a wig so that you can change your look a little, but you’ve never purchased one before, there are things you need to know before you go any further. After all, the last thing you want to do is rush out and buy a wig, only to find out that it doesn’t suit your face shape and you look terrible in it. Yes, the shape of your face directly affects the type of hairstyle you wear, which means it will also affect the style of wig you choose.
2-1｜Why Does Face Shape Matter?
Everyone has a certain face shape, and it matters because this shape will help you find the right hairstyle, the right wig, the right pair of eyeglasses, the right eyebrow shape, and even the right makeup. If you’re fashion-conscious, you should certainly know what shape your face is before you go out and purchase anything for your wardrobe. Even if you’re not exactly a fashionista, it’s still good to have this information in hand before you buy anything, especially items such as wigs.
When you first start reading about face shapes, it can be a bit confusing, especially if your idea of a great outfit is a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. But clothing aside, finding the perfect wig absolutely requires that you know your face shape because without this information, it’s nearly a guarantee that you’ll end up with a wig you are unhappy with. Fortunately, finding your face shape doesn’t have to be complicated. While there are several methods of determining what your face shape is, the following steps will get you there quickly:
- Stand in front of a mirror and tie your hair back away from your face.
- With liner or lipstick, draw around your face in the mirror. By the time you’re finished, you should see a distinct shape.
- You can also find a picture of yourself and trace that picture to come up with your face shape.
That’s it! That should do it, but if you’re still unsure of what face shape you have, you can always follow another method. For this one, while you’re standing in front of a mirror and have your hair tied back, just measure the four most important parts of your face, which include:
- Your forehead width
- The width of your cheekbone
- The length of your face
- The width of your jawline
Make sure the measurements are precise, and don’t forget to write them down. This way, when you’re reading the descriptions below, you’ll be able to see exactly where you fit in when it comes to face shape. You should also familiarize yourself with the basic face shapes because the more you learn them, the more confident you’ll feel when deciding on the shape of your own face.
2-2｜Tips to Make Measuring Your Face Easier
When you’re measuring your face, keep in mind the following tips so that it’s a little easier and more efficient:
- When measuring the length of your face, make sure you measure from the hairline to the point of the chin.
- When measuring the width of your face, you should measure it at three points: the front hairline, the jaw, and the mid-face area.
In addition, when you’re measuring the width of your face, make sure you bring the tape measure all the way to the sides of your face, and make sure you measure at the exact same point at those sides for all three of the areas you need to measure. Finally, once you get your measurements and have written them down somewhere, make sure you can answer these two questions: (1) Which is wider, the length of your face or the width? and (2) Which is wider, the top of the brow area, the mid-face area, or the jawline? Only by knowing the answers to these questions will you be able to determine what your face shape is, which allows you to move to the next step of finding the right wig.
As a general rule, there are seven types of face shapes, and once you know what shape you yourself have, buying wigs and even getting your hair done will be a lot easier. Below are descriptions of those seven shapes.
2-3｜Shape #1: Round Shape
If you have a wide hairline and notice fullness below your cheekbones, your face is likely round. Round-faced people can also have necks that appear to be shorter than most people’s. When you’re determining what the perfect wig or hairstyle is that you should adopt, try to find one that has a linear or geometric style to it. In fact, anything you do that adds the appearance of height to your face is perfect because people with round faces often have faces that look “short” and stocky.
If you like long hair, try to find a wig that has long, wispy sides to it because this is one of the best ways to make your cheeks look more narrow and long. Never buy a wig that adds width along the face because round faces are wide enough on their own. When you comb the wig, comb it close at the nape of the neck and close to the head on both sides to get the most attractive look. If you’re curious about which celebrities have round faces so you can copy their hairstyles, think Mila Kunis, Ginnifer Goodwin, or Chrissy Teigen.
If you’d like to use the measurements of your face to know for certain that you have a round face shape, here is what to look for:
- The width and length of your face are the same number.
- You have no major edges or angles in your face.
- Your cheekbones are not prominent.
- Your chin and jawline are rounded, as is your forehead at the hairline.
- Your face has a circular appearance and is fairly symmetrical in shape.
If you have a round face and you’re shopping for the perfect wig, try to find one that has fullness and height at the crown but one that has a flatter look at the cheekbone area. This will elongate the face and make it look less round. Parting that is slightly off-center also helps. Blunt cuts that are round at the jawline should be avoided because it can make your jaw look even heavier and rounder. If you love your hair long, you’re in luck because wigs with long hair complement those rounder parts such as the jawline and cheeks.
Essentially, with a round face, you’ll want to avoid any width in the wig. Wigs and hairstyles with width will make your face look even wider and rounder, which is the last thing you want.
2-4｜Shape #2: Oval Shape
With an oval-shaped face, there will be much more length than width, and your jaw is narrower than the cheekbone area. Oval faces are very proportionate, with the chin, jawline, forehead, and cheekbones all the same size and look. For the most part, this face shape looks good with just about any wig you wear, but that doesn’t mean that any and all wigs will look the same on you. While you can wear almost anything when it comes to wigs, there will naturally be some wigs that look better on you than others.
Some of the many celebrities who have oval face shapes include Julianne Moore, Beyonce, and Blake Lively. Oval-shaped faces are considered ideal, and they have the following characteristics:
- A length that is longer than the width of the face
- Rounded chin and jawline
- Very wide cheekbones; in fact, they are wider than any other part of the face, including the forehead.
Oval faces usually have lengths that are 1.5 times the width of the face. The jaw is especially narrow, and there are no dominant features with this face shape. If you want to get the ideal wig to go along with your ideal face shape, try ones that sit away from your face, such as mid-length styles that add volume or long bobs with a fringe falling away from the face and to one side. These styles especially will accentuate the perfect shape of the face, and they do a great job of making your face look even more perfect in the end.
One more thing about oval-shaped faces: never get a wig or hairstyle that is full at the top and shorter or less noticeable at the bottom half of your head. This will call too much attention to the bottom part of your face instead of highlighting the best features of your face. It can actually make your face look too long at the bottom near your chin. Just like your face is proportional, you want a wig that is proportional as well.
2-5｜Shape #3: Square Shape
Square faces are similar to round faces in some ways, in that the width and length of the face are very much alike. If you have a square-shaped face, your jaw and hairline will both be wide. When you shop for a wig, you’ll want one that gives the illusion of more length in your face, since square faces normally don’t have a lot of length. If you keep the hair off of your forehead when you’re styling your wig, it can add some height to your face. You’ll also do well with a wig with softness so that the bluntness of the angles will be less pronounced.
Try wigs that are curly and mid-length or longer, or wigs that have wisps of hair around the face. The wisps break up the wide, straight lines in your face and make all of your facial features look a lot less blunt. In addition, never buy a wig that is the same length all over; instead, different lengths help create fluidity and movement around your face, which is the perfect way to give your face the complement it deserves. If you’re not sure if your face is square, look for the following features:
- The forehead, jaw, and cheekbones are all the same width.
- The hairline is essentially a straight line.
- The length and width of your face are the same.
- There are minimal curves in the cheekbone.
- You have a very sharp, squared jawline.
If you’re curious which celebrities have square-shaped faces, think Demi Lovato, Cameron Diaz, and Olivia Wilde. Remember, square faces have sharp features and tend to be very symmetrical in shape. Because of this, you’ll want to choose wigs that do not overemphasize all of the angles of your face. Layered looks work great, as do wavy wigs and wigs that have some sort of a fringe to them. Also, if you find a wig that adds height to the top of your head, this will elongate the face and make it look less blunt in the end. Anything that softens up your facial features will look great with your square face, and you shouldn’t get a wig that is too short because that can make your face look even stockier. Choose long hair because it also elongates the face.
Other suggestions include side parts, which offset the squareness of your face; and bangs, which show off your great jawline. Anything that adds volume to the face, especially the sides of the face, works great when you have a square-faced shape.
2-6｜Shape #4: Pear Shape
Is a pear-shaped face really shaped like a pear? In essence, the answer to this question is “yes.” Women with pear-shaped faces have narrow foreheads and jawlines that are the widest part of the face. Because of this, you don’t want a wig that calls attention to the top of your head where your narrow forehead is found. Instead, you want a wig or hairstyle that makes the top of your head look fuller. A straight, long style makes your face look the same all over, which accentuates the narrow forehead. A wig that is fuller on top makes the forehead look wider and more proportionate to the rest of the face.
In other words, you don’t want to call attention to the top part of your head, but you do want to create some fullness there. Celebrities who have pear-shaped heads include Kelly Osbourne, Lucy Hale, and Sophia Bush. If you wish to find out if you have a pear-shaped face, see if it has the following traits:
- A jawline that is full and slightly squared.
- A very narrow forehead and a very wide chin.
- The face itself looks fuller and the cheeks are rounded.
When it comes to face shapes, the pear shape – also called a triangle shape by some people – is actually the least common face shape. If your face is shaped like a pear and you want to buy the perfect wig to complement it, the first thing you should avoid is any hairstyle that calls attention to your jawline. After all, the size of the jaw alone gets enough attention. Blunt cuts and cuts that accentuate the jawline are not good, while shag haircuts, a full and layered haircut, and cuts that add volume from the crown of your head to the eyes are all great suggestions.
In fact, with a pear-shaped face, the best thing you can do when choosing a wig is to find one that adds volume to any area of the face located above the jawline. Remember, you want the attention to be away from the jawline, and you want to add volume to the very top section of your face and head.
2-7｜Shape #5: Heart Shape
When you have a heart-shaped face, you have a wide forehead and crown but your jawline and chin are very narrow. Because of this, you’ll want to add volume to the chin area, since that is the narrowest part of your face. Again, you don’t want to call attention to it, but you do want to add some volume. If you’re shopping for wigs, therefore, don’t choose one that is short and has a lot of volume at the top because this will only call attention to the chin area, which you don’t want to do. Instead, choose options such as long hair that is wavy or textured, or even bangs, which balance everything out and take the attention away from your chin area.
Some of the celebrities who have heart-shaped faces are Ruby Rose and Reese Witherspoon, and some of the characteristics of the heart-shaped face include:
- The face is longer than it is wide.
- The forehead and cheekbones are the same width and they are both wider than the chin.
- The hairline is rounded and forms a point in the shape of a V right in the center of the forehead.
- The jawline is narrow and the chin is angled.
Adding volume to the chin and some hair to the forehead area are two of the best ways to highlight the attributes of the heart-shaped face. These two things will help disguise the chin so that it doesn’t look so unusually small. The ideal wigs will be those that keep the hair close to your head at the eye area, wigs with subtle layers, wigs with a page-boy style, and wigs that have more fullness around the jawline and in front of the ear lobes. Wigs and hairstyles you do not want when you have a heart-shaped face include styles that have choppy layers and hair that is very short.
Other wigs that look good with heart-shaped faces include those with bob haircuts, since it re-establishes symmetry in the face; and styles that have longer layers. Wigs that have overly full tops, especially when they are thinner or shorter near the bottom of your face, should always be avoided. The main area to think about when buying your wig is the bottom part of your face where your chin is located. That area needs to have something around it to take the eye away from the fact that it is so small and thin.
2-8｜Shape #6: Diamond Shape
While the oval-shaped face is considered the ideal face shape, diamond-shaped faces are a close second. Because of the perfect symmetry involved, diamond-shaped faces are stunning and eye-catching. They are characterized by a narrow crown, wide cheekbones, and a narrow chin. The width is greater at the sides of the face than at the top or bottom, so you’ll want to choose wigs and hairstyles that reduce the width at the sides of your face, since there’s enough width there already. Essentially, with a diamond-shaped face, your cheekbone area is going to be the widest part of your face.
While a diamond-shaped face can be confused with a heart-shaped one, here are some of the traits of a face shaped like a diamond:
- The cheekbones are wider than both the jawline and the forehead.
- The chin is very narrow and comes to a point.
- The face is as long as it is wide.
- The forehead is narrower than a heart-shaped face.
Anna Kendrick and Megan Fox are two of the many celebrities who have a diamond-shaped face, and if you wish to find a wig that perfectly complements this face shape, there are a few things you can do. First of all, a short bob haircut will make the jawline appear to be a little wider, and any wig that is cut in either medium or long layers – including wavy, straight, or choppy layers – will look great with this face shape. You’ll want to soften up the angles on your face, especially around the cheekbone area, but fortunately, this is super easy to do when you have a diamond-shaped face.
Adding fullness to the chin area and reducing the width of the cheekbone area help make sure you get the perfect wig in the end. In addition to bob haircuts, those haircuts that use some fringe or bangs to cover the forehead area also work well. When you have a diamond-shaped face, you don’t want to add too much height to the top of your head or too much volume to the sides of your head. The height at the top of your head draws attention to the narrow forehead and the volume on the sides of the head does the same to the wide cheekbones.
2-9｜Shape #7: Oblong Shape
If you have a long and narrow bone structure and a long, thin neck, you likely have a face that is oblong-shaped. Since most people want to look like they have an oval-shaped face – after all, it is the ideal face shape – wearing the right wig or hairstyle can help make that happen. Basically, when you have an oblong-shaped face, you’ll want to look for wigs such as the following:
- Bangs cut straight across.
- Bob cuts that are full at the cheeks or jawline.
- Curls, because they widen a very narrow face.
- Hair that is parted on the side.
- Long hair or shoulder-length hair that adds volume to the jawline.
- Short or medium lengths that do not add any height.
With oblong-shaped faces, the main thing you’re looking for is to add softness because an oblong-shaped face can almost look too big if it doesn’t have a hairstyle that accentuates certain areas of the face. Some of the celebrities who have oblong-shaped faces include Sarah Jessica Parker, Kate Winslett, and Cate Blanchett. Here are a few of the traits of an oblong-shaped face:
- The chin is pointed.
- The face is longer than it is wide.
- The forehead and jawline have very similar widths.
- The forehead is both wide and tall.
- The forehead is the widest part of the head.
- The sides of your face and the cheek line are straight.
With an oblong-shaped face, you definitely want bangs. Without bangs, the face simply looks too long and too large. You should never part your hair in the middle, and you don’t want any styles that add height (remember, volume and height are two different things) to the top part of your head. Finally, chin-length cuts that have no body or which don’t add any width or volume to the sides of the head need to be avoided as well.
Short haircuts with bangs, medium haircuts with a layered look and bangs, and longer hairdos that add some curl near the bottom all do great with oblong-shaped faces. Haircuts that add volume to the top of the head, especially if they are parted down the middle, are not a good choice for people with this type of face shape.
3｜How to Find a Wig Store Near Me
So, you’ve decided to want to purchase a wig. Regardless of what you’re looking for, figuring out where to find your wig can be a challenge. After all, there are brick-and-mortar wig stores, but they tend to have a limited selection of wigs. There are also online wig stores, but how can you decide on the perfect wig when you can’t see it in person? Let’s face it, both brick-and-mortar and online wig stores have their advantages and disadvantages, but once you learn what they are, it’ll be a lot easier to decide for yourself how to get started. After all, everyone is different when it comes to their tastes in wigs, but there are still easy ways to determine the best way for you to find the best wig.
3-1｜Getting Started on Finding Your Wig
If you’ve ever asked yourself, how can I find a good wig store near me, the answer is very simple. A quick search on one of the many available search engines will bring you to lots of these stores, so you can start looking for the stores quickly. To get started, let’s first take a look at the factors you should consider before you decide on a nearby wig store. They include the following:
Their Working Hours
When you decide to visit a regular wig store, the first thing you need to know is when they’re open. You’re likely a very busy person, which means you have to know exactly when you can visit them to start looking at wigs. Before you do any other research on the store, check their working hours so that you can determine when the best time is to visit them to shop for your new wig.
Know Their Exact Location
If the wig store is too far away, it may not be convenient for you to shop there. After all, if you visit them once, it’s very likely you’ll want to visit them again in the future, so finding a store that is close to where you live and/or work is a must. Keep in mind you may also use the store for various services as well as finding a second wig, so a convenient location is important.
Check Their Inventory
A wig store is never as chock full of different wigs as an online store is, but if they don’t have a good inventory in the beginning, this is not likely to change. The first time you visit a wig store, take a look at their inventory, and ask the owners how often they get in additional wigs. This will help you decide if they are big and versatile enough for you so you know what you’re dealing with.
Read the Reviews Left by Others
If you use a search engine to find nearby wig stores, it’s almost a certainty you’ll have access to real-life customer reviews, and it behooves you to read those reviews. That being said, don’t be discouraged if there are some negative reviews because that almost always happens. But if the number of positive reviews exceeds the number of negative ones, the store is worth visiting.
Determine What Their Expertise Level Is
If you can, pick up the phone or visit the store in person and ask them some questions so that you can determine how experienced they are when it comes to wigs. If the people working at the store don’t sound like they know a lot about wigs, you might as well start looking for another wig store. Regardless of the question you ask them, they should be able to answer it quickly and easily – and with knowledge and a good answer.
Check Out Their Services
In addition to selling you the perfect wig, they should offer additional services as well. They should have access to the names of hairdressers who are experienced at taking care of your wig, and they should have products that help you do the same. In other words, they are not just there to sell you a wig. They should offer everything else that goes along with it.
Now that you have this information, and before we go any further, let’s look at some of the pros and cons of both a brick-and-mortar store and an online store that sells wigs.
3-2｜Brick-and-Mortar Wig Stores: Pros and Cons
Many times, people who want to find the perfect wig head out first to a regular store they can visit in-person. There are naturally lots of advantages to this, so let’s take a look at some of those perks:
- In many cases, they have a very generous return and exchange policy.
- Many of them have private rooms you can use to try the wigs on and see how they fit.
- You can establish rapport with a professional salesperson who knows all about the wigs and can answer any questions you have.
- You can get all sorts of information on choosing the right wig, including advice on caring for the wig, how to style it, and how to put it on properly.
- You can try the wig on and see just how it looks before you buy one.
Of course, like any other products on the market, there are a few disadvantages to a brick-and-mortar store as well. These include the following:
- Brick-and-mortar stores are often more expensive than online wig stores, partly because they don’t offer as many regular sales and discounts.
- You may still have a wait time, as many wig stores don’t keep a large inventory and often have to special-order your wig.
- You might very well end up with a pushy salesperson who tries to sell you something you might not want.
If you do choose to visit a wig store in person, make sure the salesperson knows what your budget is because if you state that price as soon as you enter the store, you’re much more likely to stick with that number and end up buying something you can afford. Also, you might want to consider calling ahead and making an appointment. Choosing the right wig can be time-consuming, and you’ll want to make sure that the salesperson has enough time to help you pick out the best one for you. You should also always ask about their return policy because return policies can vary greatly from one store to another, despite the fact that federal regulations are in place. After all, you won’t know for sure if it’s the right wig for you until you’ve worn it a few times.
3-3｜Online Wig Stores: Pros and Cons
Online wig stores are fun to visit because they have so many different wigs that you’ll never run out of wigs to look at. If you’re considering researching wigs via an online store, here are some of the many advantages of doing this:
- The prices are often significantly less than brick-and-mortar stores.
- They are perfect for those people who don’t have any wig stores near their home.
- You can easily find the least expensive prices, as well as lots of online sales and discounts.
- You can shop anonymously, which is perfect for people who aren’t yet comfortable with the thought of buying and wearing a wig.
- You can take your time deciding which wig to purchase, and you can do so in the privacy of your own home.
If you’re curious about some of the disadvantages of shopping for wigs online, here are some of them:
- Online stores often have very strict return policies.
- There is always the possibility of ending up with low-quality wigs from a less-than-honest online store.
- You are unable to see the wig “in person” or try it on before you buy it.
When it comes to online stores’ return policies, pay strict attention to them. Many online wig stores state that if you take the wig out of the packaging, it cannot be returned. What is considered “used” to one store might not apply to another store. If they do allow you to return your wig, you will usually have to pay for the shipping yourself, and many of the stores also require a “restocking” fee that could be equal to 20% of the cost of the wig. In addition, it usually takes a long time for you to receive your new wig – sometimes up to four weeks or longer. This might not matter to you, but you’ll want to know this before you work with an online store.
Also, researching an online store is always a smart idea because you won’t be able to tell how good they are just by looking at their website. You can check them out with the Better Business Bureau, and even call their customer service line to see what type of service they provide. Sign up for their mailing list if you’re not interested in buying from them right away, and always check online for real-life customer reviews. With online stores, you can’t be too careful when doing your research, so try to check them out as much as possible before buying a wig from them.
3-4｜How Easy Is it to Find the Right Store?
The next time you ask yourself, how can I find the right wig store near me, just know that it doesn’t have to be an overwhelming process. The first thing you should do is get on one of the many search engines available and search for wig stores located near you, which you can do on search engines such as:
- Google Scholar
- The Internet Archive
If you’re not sure which search engine will work best for your particular search, consider that most people end up using two to three search engines when searching for something important, including wig shops found nearby. Essentially, you want a search engine that does three main things:
- Gives you good options needed to either tighten or broaden your search.
- Gives you relevant results; in other words, the results you’re looking for.
- Has an easy-to-read, uncluttered user interface.
You should also keep in mind that there are other, more specific search engines made for specific types of searches. For instance, there are search engines made just for searching for images, people, and jobs, to name a few. The main point is, don’t get frustrated if you use one search engine and you’re not happy with the results. Just go to the next search engine and give that one a try until you find one that can accommodate your needs.
In addition to this information, also keep in mind that you can visit e-commerce product page links of a specific store, such as Walmart.com, Wigs.com, and so on. You can search websites such as Yelp to get access to a local business directory, or even refer to social media sites such as Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIn, or any of the other social media sites available. Facebook and Instagram, in particular, are great for finding local businesses that sell wigs, because all you have to do is enter the word “wig” and the name of your city once you get on that site, and the rest is easy.
One more thing while we’re on the subject – there are online wig stores that offer ways to help you find the wig store that is closest to your home. These sites allow you to enter information and receive data from Google Maps that show you exactly where all of the wig shops are located. Most of the stores on the map will have a link to the store’s website, so all you have to do is click on the map, click on the store’s name, and find where it says “website” and click on that. It really couldn’t be any easier these days to find local wig stores and discover information on their inventory, their hours of operation, and so much more.
Make sure that, if you use this option, you have your location services enabled and your browser’s permissions turned on before you start looking for a wig shop. If you don’t, you won’t get the personalized results that you need to make finding the nearby wig shops much easier. After all, you don’t want to wait all day for results to pop up on your screen, and if you have your computer set up correctly, you’ll be able to get those search results in no time.
3-5｜In Case You’re New to Wigs …
If you’ve never bought a wig before, you’re bound to have a lot of questions, but don’t panic because we’re here to provide those answers to you. First thing’s first – what is a wig shop? It isn’t just a store filled with all types of wigs. The people who own and operate these stores have a commitment to their customers because many of those customers have thinning hair or are bald due to chemotherapy treatments, illnesses such as alopecia and others, and even certain traumas. They realize that when you walk into their store, you might be a little hesitant or nervous, and their job is to make you feel comfortable so that the selection and buying process are as easy as possible on you.
The online stores have a very similar commitment. The only difference is that you have to contact them with any questions or concerns you might have, since they usually don’t realize when you’re “in” their store and researching the products. In fact, this is a good way to test out their customer service skills. Once you contact them with a question or concern, you can discover how they react to that and feel good (or bad) about the way you’ve been treated. Whether it’s a regular store or an online store, you can easily determine how good they are at customer service, and this will ensure you choose the right wig in the end.
As far as what they carry in their stores, it involves a lot more than wigs. Their wigs, however, can be straight wigs, curly wigs, loose wave wigs, water wave wigs, and so much more. They come with or without bangs, either short or long, and in all different colors, including two-toned wigs that are often more natural-looking than those that are only one color. They also sell hair extensions, hair bundles, and lace closures and frontals, as well as all of the accessories you need to make sure your wig looks its best once it’s installed. This includes glues, combs, tapes, bleaching powders, paintbrushes, and lots of items to care for your wig, such as shampoos, conditioners, hair serums, hair sprays, and so much more.
If you’re new to wigs, you’ll naturally need more than just the wig itself, and a good wig store offers all of it. They also usually start with a personalized consultation, which is discreet and private, to allow you to discuss your needs and concerns with a salesperson so they can help you find the perfect wig. They’ll go over the types of wigs available and teach you how to put the wig on, and they’ll teach you the difference between HD lace, lace front, full lace, and 360 lace wigs.
In short, a good wig store, regardless of its type, is there to make the wig-buying process much easier on you. Even online stores are exceptional these days because even though you won’t be able to see the wigs in person, most of them now have crisp, clear HD photographs of all of their wigs on their website so that you can see exactly what they look like. They’ll show the pictures from all different angles and provide very detailed descriptions of all of the wigs so that you feel comfortable with what you’re buying. Because of these things, buying a wig from an online store no longer has to be the “iffy” process it once was.
Nevertheless, if you find yourself in a bind and need a wig quickly, visiting a regular store may be your only option. The point is, both brick-and-mortar and online wig stores provide you with a ton of wigs to choose from at reasonable prices, so it’s really up to you to choose the one that best meets your needs. To decide between the two, just consider your budget, your level of expertise when it comes to wigs, your location (people who live in rural areas might want to consider online wig stores), and anything else you consider important in the wig-buying process. Each person’s situation is different from the next person’s, so it’s up to you to decide which of these options will work best for you.
4｜How to Wear a Wig and Make it Look Natural
If you’re excited because you just purchased your very first wig, but you aren’t sure exactly how to wear it so that it looks like your natural hair, don’t panic just yet. The truth is, putting on wigs the right way is a lot easier than you might think, because all it takes is practice and a few tips to help you do it correctly. Everybody wants their wig to look great, but mostly they want it to look natural and not “fake.” This is not at all difficult, and once you put the wig on the first time correctly, you’ll feel like an old pro because it’ll be easier the next time you wear it.
4-1｜Preparing Beforehand Is the Key
As you can imagine, when you go to put on your wig for the first time, you’re not going to just place it on your head and call it a day. It doesn’t work like that. Instead, you’ll have some prep work to do before even starting to put the wig on, but don’t worry. This is not exactly a day-long experience, and it gets much easier the more you do it. In fact, learning how to wear a wig is not hard, but it is something a lot of people don’t do on a regular basis. The more you practice it, the better you’ll get at it.
The rules for prepping your head for the wig vary depending on whether your hair is short, long, or if you have no hair at all. If you’ve already purchased your wig, you’ve likely chosen one of the two following types:
- Lace-front wigs. These wigs are great for people with little to no hair because the hairline looks totally natural. They are seamless wigs that look like the hair at the hairline is growing out of your own head. If you like wigs that keep the hair away from your face (in other words, without bangs), this is the type of wig you need.
- Monofilament tops. What lace-front wigs do for the hairline, monofilament tops do for the part in your wig. You want the part in your hair to look natural, and a monofilament wig has hair that is hand-sewn into the part area, making for a very natural look.
If you haven’t yet bought your wig, these descriptions should give you a better idea of what type to look for when you start your shopping.
One of the first things you’ll want to do is make sure you have a properly sized wig cap. The average person wears a cap with a circumference of 22 inches, but you may need a petite one that is 21 inches or even a large one that is 23 inches. Take a measuring tape and measure your head so that you buy the cap that will fit snugly without being too tight. Wig caps usually range in size from 19 inches to 23 inches, so you shouldn’t have any problems finding the right one.
If you have little to no hair, you can simply place the wig cap on your head and get ready to put the wig on. Short-haired people can brush the hair back some away from the face so that it is easier to put the cap on, and spraying it with some hair spray or spritz afterward isn’t a bad idea. Those with long hair should pin up the hair with small barrettes or bobby pins. If you have lots of those pins or barrettes when you’re done, it’s perfectly all right. Just make sure they aren’t making your head uncomfortable because if they are, wearing the cap and the wig will be twice as difficult.
Play around with the pins until it feels just right. Then you can move onto the next step. Long-haired people can also make two braids with their hair, then wrap the braids around the head before securing them with bobby pins or barrettes. There is likely to be fewer pins or barrettes if you braid the hair first, which can mean more comfort for you. The point is, you want to make sure that hair is as flat on the head as possible while also being comfortable, so it’s good to know there are several ways to accomplish this.
The key to making sure your wig cap is on correctly is this: you want as much of your real hair underneath that cap as possible. You definitely want the cap to be on correctly because this will do two things:
- It enables the wig to fit much better and be more comfortable.
- It makes the wig smoother and more natural-looking.
In other words, putting on the wig cap correctly benefits both you and the wig! Before we go any further, here are some tips for making sure the wig cap is on properly:
- Applying gel to your hair makes it easier to tame it so that the cap can slide on more easily.
- If your hair is very thin, you may want to consider making a tiny bun at the nape of your neck.
- If your scalp is sensitive, try spraying a scalp protector around the edge of the hairline. This makes the cap more comfortable so the wig will be more comfortable, too. You can buy this at any beauty supply store.
- Always align the wig cap around your natural hairline. Make sure it covers as much of your hair as possible.
- Once the cap is on, make sure any stray hairs are tucked into it before you go any further.
- If you like, you can put bobby pins on the edges of the cap to make sure it stays on your head better.
Just remember that the smoother your cap is once it’s on, the better your wig will look once you’re wearing it. That’s why, when it comes to wearing a wig, learning how to put on a wig cap is one of the most important steps to take. If the cap looks too bumpy or crooked when you put it on, the wig will look the same way, and that’s not something you want.
4-2｜Putting on Your Wig
Now it’s time to put on your wig – you know, the fun part! The first thing you want to do is take it out of the package and hold it up with both hands so you can see where the label is, which should be in the back (bottom part) of the wig. When you’re sliding that wig on, the label will go toward the nape of your neck. Once you know where the label is, grab your wig and bend your head forward a little. You’ll do this because you’ll be placing your wig on from the front to the back, not the other way around.
Once your head is tilted slightly forward, place the front or top part of the wig on the front of your head, then slide it on toward the back of the head, or the neck area. Learning how to wear a wig properly starts with working from the front of your head to the back part, and you’ll find this both a simpler way to put your wig on and a better way because it is more comfortable for you. It also reduces the chances of the wig slipping or sliding off of your head at some point. Not that this happens a lot, especially once you get better at putting on your wig, but it’s always a possibility, and putting the wig on the right way helps prevent that from happening.
When you get started, make sure the wig is above your eyebrows; that is, between the eyebrows and your hairline. If you start with the wig too close to the hairline area, it may make it more difficult to put it on properly the first time. Once the wig is on your head, you can adjust it however you like until it feels comfortable and looks good. You may have to move the wig using the front-to-back motion several times for it to look right and feel right. In fact, if this is your first time to put on a wig, you might even have to remove the wig and place it on your head again to start all over again. But not to worry because this is quite normal.
When you’re adjusting the wig, use the ear tabs on either side of the wig to make sure it is even. You’ll want these tabs to be in front of your ears, but make sure you don’t cover the ears. If you get the wig on your head and it feels too tight or too loose, there is often a Velcro tab in the back that you can use to tighten or loosen the wig. With most of these, you can adjust the wig a full 1/4 inch to get it to the perfect fit. Keep adjusting the wig until it feels perfect, then tuck in any stray hairs you may notice in the facial area. At this point, you can also secure the wig with either wig clips or wig tape to make sure the wig stays where it should be if you wish.And that’s it! Okay, so it might not be super easy the first time you do it, but it shouldn’t be all that complicated, either. Just don’t get too stressed if the wig doesn’t look perfect the first time you put it on. Simply remove it and start over until you get it right. Once you get started with this process, even if it’s your first time to put on a wig, you’ll likely be surprised at how simple it is.
4-3｜Tips to Make Your Wig Look More Natural
These days, wig companies do an amazing job of making natural-looking wigs. In fact, you can’t even tell when most people are wearing a wig because they are so well-made. Nevertheless, if you’re concerned about making sure your wig looks realistic and natural after it’s on, here are some tips you can follow to make that happen:
- Work on the part of the wig. A perfect part is not realistic because let’s face it, most people have hair with imperfect parts in it. Take some tweezers and remove a few strands of hair around the part area; use a pair of tiny scissors to cut some of the strands shorter so they can look like they’re growing out some. You can even move a few strands of hair over to the “wrong” side of the part. All of these things will make the wig look more like your natural hair.
- Look for rooted wigs when shopping for your wig. This means the wig will not be just one shade but will have gradients or different shades of color in it. Unless you have dark-brown or light-blonde hair, it is unlikely all of the strands of hair are the same color. If you want your wig to look more natural and realistic, look for colors that are “rooted” or those that are “blended.” These types of wigs are not difficult to find, and they are very well worth it in the end.
- Product is important. To make your wig look even more natural, use product on it when taking care of it, just like you do with your real hair. You can do things such as conditioning your wig, making sure to place most of the conditioner at the ends of the wig; spraying powder or dry shampoo on the wig to get rid of that super-glossy look, which tends to make people notice that it’s fake hair; and even rubbing your hands together and then rubbing the wig down to remove any flyaway hairs that might be there. All of these things give it a natural shine and a much more natural look.
- Show part of your own hair if you can. While lace-front wigs are great because they make your hairline look more natural, using your own hair at the hairline is always better. If you have enough hair, place the wig back a little further on the top of your head so that some of your own hair can be seen once the wig is placed on your head. The wig will look more realistic and natural in the end because it’s your own hair.
Just remember that wigs tend to look “perfect” these days; a little too perfect, in fact. This is why utilizing tips to make the hair look more natural is always a good idea. Even though wigs are being made more and more like real hair, you can still tell the difference in many cases, which is why these tips are so important.
4-4｜How to Make the Wig More Secure
Once you put your wig on, you might feel a little tentative about the wig staying on your head. This is perfectly normal, and while many women (and men) put their wigs on and go on their merry way, others feel more confident with the wig when they secure it onto the head somehow. There is such a thing as wig tape and glue, but you can also make it more secure without these items. Essentially, it boils down to a “glue versus non-glue” option when putting on your wig, but fortunately, both options are super easy.
There are numerous options for those who want to secure their wigs but are not interested in using glue. These include:
- Bobby pins. These should be used only by people who have hair of their own because that’s what they’ll be attached to. If you have thinning hair or you’re experiencing hair loss, bobby pins are usually not a good option.
- Use a piece of elastic. With this method, you can use a strip of elastic you find at craft stores. Once you get it, sew it onto the inside of your wig at the top of the wig, sewing it from ear to ear. It is especially helpful for people in a hurry because it makes putting your wig on very fast.
- Wig clips. These are essentially combs made out of either plastic or metal that can be sewn into the wig. They are more secure than bobby pins and once you sew them on, they’ll stay there as long as your wig remains in use, which means putting on your wig from now on will be a breeze.
- Wig grips. These are similar to elastic pieces but instead of using them from ear to ear, you’ll use them from front to back. You’ll place them from the forehead area to the nape of the neck.
Keep in mind that with wig grips, they do not last forever. You may have to replace them occasionally, especially if you wear your wig a lot.
Glue and tape options.
There are numerous types of glue that can be used to make your wig more secure, and these include the following:
- Bold Hold glue. There are different strengths of this glue, and the Extreme Cream and Active versions provide extra security for your wig and even allow you to wear the wig for several days in a row.
- Got2BGlued. This is a great option for beginning wig-wearers because it is so simple to apply. The only negative aspect of it is its inability to handle sweat or water well, which means a workout at the gym or getting caught in the rain might be a challenge for you.
- Wig tape. This tape is not made for people with natural hair because it can pull at the natural hairs and be uncomfortable. It is a double-sided tape that makes securing the wig on your head a whole lot easier.
4-5｜Tape Versus Glue: Which Is Better?
If you’ve chosen not to secure your wig with bobby pins or clips, you’ll have to decide between tape and glue. Each has pros and cons, but let’s take a look at some of the recommendations given by a lot of experts:
- If you’re looking for something that is super easy to use: use tape. It is easy to apply and never makes a mess.
- If you want a more natural look: use glue. Remember that the glue used for wigs is invisible once it dries, so a natural look is very easy to get.
- If you want something that provides a super-strong hold: use either one. Both have been proven to provide great hold when putting on a wig.
These things being said, neither tape or glue is really all that easy to remove. Nevertheless, they are your only option when you’ve decided not to use bobby pins or clips. But, these products are being made better and better all the time, so they aren’t usually that difficult to remove.
If you’re curious about the best options for certain types of hair, here are some general rules you can follow:
- When you are bald or have sparse thinning hair, you need to use either tape or glue. Bobby pins and clips just won’t work because they need a certain amount of hair to hold onto to work right.
- When you have short hair, you are in a great position because you can use either tape or glue successfully. While clips and bobby pins may work best, you can still use tape or glue if you like and be happy with your look in the end.
- When you have long or thick hair, bobby pins or wig clips usually work best. Tape and glue will work, but they may be more difficult to work with and therefore, it’s usually just easier to use clips or pins when you have this type of hair.
4-6｜Do You Absolutely Need a Wig Cap?
The answer to this question varies depending on who you ask, but most experts agree that when you don’t use a wig cap, it’s possible that the wig won’t fit properly and may even give you a “bumpy” look that announces to the world that you’re wearing fake hair. The stocking caps are by far the most popular types, and most people add a touch of makeup around the edges of the cap so that the color blends in with the color of their natural skin. That being said, if you wish to learn how to wear a wig without wearing a wig cap first, you can always choose a fake scalp wig instead.
Fake scalp wigs are sometimes called pre-made bald cap wigs and are essentially the wig cap and the wig in one piece. Scalp wigs tend to look more natural around the part area. With these wigs, the “scalp” underneath the hair is longer than you need it to be, but that’s because you can trim it to the exact length you need it to be. If you’re a beginner, here are some important tips to remember when using a fake scalp wig:
- Make your hair as tight and flat as possible.
- Put the wig on and adjust the strap to the size of your head.
- Trim the lace after you put the wig on. Get it as close to your natural hairline as possible.
- You can use a little hair adhesive (glue) at this point to make sure the wig fits properly.
- Try to cut some strands of the hair to make it look more like your real hair.
Once you get to this point, you can go ahead and style your wig as you would your own hair. Some wig-wearers prefer fake scalp wigs over the cap and wig method, but you’ll have to decide for yourself which method is right for you.
4-7｜That Was Easy, Wasn’t it?
Although this is a lot of information to take in, once you get started by choosing and learning to wear the right wig, you’ll see that the process is much easier than you might think. Putting on a wig the right way starts by making sure your hair and head are ready, and always remember that you need to put your wig on by starting in the front of your head and sliding it onto the back. If you’re wondering if the process is any different for wigs with bangs, buns, or ponytails, it really isn’t. You just have to be a little more careful when placing the wig at the hairline, especially if there are bangs on the wig that might make it more difficult to see exactly where the hairline is.
The first time you wear your wig may make you a little nervous, but once you get used to wearing one, you’ll wonder why it took you so long to get started. After your wig is correctly applied, you can step out with confidence and show the world how good you look! Just like anything else, practice makes perfect. While none of the things listed above are especially difficult, you still get better the more you do it, so you can now relax before you put on your wig for the first time.
5｜Wig Accessories and Wig Styling Tools
Having a wig gives you the opportunity to enjoy a new hairstyle nearly every day of the year, and they’re a lot of fun to wear. While as a general rule, they are easy to care for, there are still some rules you need to follow to keep your wigs looking their best. Most wig-wearers already know that caring for a wig means using different products than you do with your own natural hair, but did you know that this also applies to the way you style and accessorize your wig? If you decide to style your wig or use certain tools or accessories in it, they must be items specifically made for your wig. This is true even if your wig is made out of natural hair.
One of the reasons for this is that choosing the wrong tools can actually damage the hair on your wig, regardless of the type of hair it is. It can also cause the wig to last for a much shorter period of time, and let’s face it, no one wants that. If you’ve finally found a wig you’ve fallen in love with and you want to keep it for as long as possible, you have to learn how to take good care of it, and below are some wig accessories and styling tools you should buy as soon as you purchase your wig so that it will receive the care it needs year after year.
5-1｜A Good Hair Mannequin
When you’re ready to catch some Zs, you can’t very well just throw your wig on the nightstand or a chair. Instead, buy yourself a good quality mannequin made just for wigs. Many of these stands even come with their own push pins so that keeping the wig there all night long is a piece of cake. They come in different sizes and therefore, you can find one that fits your wig whether it’s long or short, straight or curly. The best part is, most of these mannequins are very reasonably priced, usually under $25. They are usually made out of sturdy canvas and cork, and they are just stiff enough to hold the wig in place regardless of how long you keep it there. In addition, these mannequins are shaped just like a real human’s head and come in sizes that range from 20 inches to around 23 or 24 inches, meaning it is simple to get something that perfectly accommodates your wig.
If you prefer to keep your mannequin on a stand or a tripod, not to worry because most of them are made with a hole at the bottom to do just that. These mannequins are perfect for both individuals and professional salon owners because they are well-made and affordable, not to mention the fact that they are super easy to use and lightweight. Regardless of the type of wig you own, a good wig mannequin is a must when it comes to accessories. It will save you a lot of headaches and potential damage to your wig, allowing you to keep your wig in great condition for a lot longer than you would otherwise. In fact, of all the accessories and tools you can buy for your wig, a good mannequin is by far one of the most important.
5-2｜The Wig Fix
If you wear wigs regularly, you’re likely already tired of the many methods that can be utilized to keep your wig in place. Glues and tapes are usually used and work great, but if you need a break from these options and you’re ready for a change, you can try The Wig Fix. Available in five different skin colors, these are bands you place around your head and make it super easy to slip the wig on, adjust it, and be on the go in no time. The band is soft, comfortable, hypoallergenic, and breathable, and there is absolutely no “stickiness” whatsoever. It also protects your scalp and even encourages the growth of new hair underneath the band. If you have a glueless wig, you’re in luck because The Wig Fix will work with all of them. You simply place it on your scalp and it “grips” your wig into place, and the best part is, you can use one of these tools whether you have real hair on your head or you’re completely bald.
The Wig Fix uses friction to keep your wig on, but it’s also flexible enough to spend some time adjusting your wig until it looks just like you want it to look. It is made to last for many years, is easy to take care of, and costs only around $35. In addition to wigs, these bands are also great for securing hijabs, head scarves, head wraps, and many other items. If you despise working with tape and glue when putting on your wig, not to worry because The Wig Fix is a perfect alternative that is comfortable, affordable, and best of all – it works! The band has tiny nubs on it to catch your hair or head and which make it easier to grip your wig and keep it in place. You get shades such as Transparent, Fair, Tan, Medium, and Deep, and the band does a great job of making the hairline of the wig look totally natural, which is crucial to anyone and everyone who wears a wig.
5-3｜A High Heat Ceramic Press Comb
One of the most challenging parts of wearing a wig is making it look natural. This means you want the top part of your wig to lay down next to your head as closely as possible. In the past, numerous products have come along that have promised to help the hair stay where it’s supposed to stay, including a few DIY methods. Nowadays, however, there are electric products that do the job even better – and less expensively! If you find a high-heat ceramic press comb that heats up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, this will work wonders for the top part of your wig. The ceramic ones are especially good because they will hold in the heat long enough for you to do the job right, and most of them have numerous heat settings that will accommodate your wig regardless of what type of hair it is made of. While you can use these devices on regular hair as well as wigs, the extra-high heat makes them perfect for wigs of all types.
Even better, these ceramic press combs are very affordable, usually in the $18 to $20 range, which means this is one of the many wig accessories that won’t cost you an arm and a leg. Imagine adding something to your collection of accessories that is reasonably priced, long-lasting, and which works great! You simply plug it in, turn it on, and start using it, and it can get the hair on your wig in the right place in no time, helping it lie flat and creating a much more-natural look in the end.
5-4｜A Basic Flat Iron or Curling Iron
If you’re looking for a flat iron or curling iron for your wig, not just any of them available on the market will do. For the best results for your wig, use an iron that has a ceramic or titanium plate and which uses negative ions to achieve the look and care you prefer. Ceramic and titanium flat irons will be able to provide the wig with a shiny and smooth look with just one swipe, and since most of them offer temperatures that range from 280 degrees to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, it won’t matter if your wig is made out of natural hair or synthetic hair. These irons are easy to use, come with numerous heat settings so that you have some control over the look of the wig, and come in barrel widths that range from 1/2 inch to 3 inches. The only thing you might want to be prepared for is the price. A good, sturdy flat iron or curling iron made out of titanium or ceramic is not always inexpensive. In fact, they normally cost in the $100 to $150 range; however, you’ll consider them worth every penny once you realize how good they work.
Flat or curling irons made out of the right materials are also made to help keep the hair healthy, so you can use them regularly without worrying about your wig hair becoming damaged. They normally have an internal timer that shuts them off automatically after a certain length of time, so they’re safe even if you forget about them, and their higher settings are perfect for wigs with all hair types. Just like the comb for the top of your wig, a good flat iron or curling iron is a must because there are so many things you can do with it to keep your wig looking its best.
5-5｜Wig Styling Accessories
Unless you never plan to change up your hairstyle, you’ll need some basic styling accessories for your wig. In fact, you’ll be surprised by how much you can do with just a few simple tools. In many ways, styling your wig is a lot easier than styling your real hair. After all, how much trouble is it to style the back of your own head? When you style your wig, it’s usually on a mannequin or a stand, so it’s securely in place before you even get started. Whether you have a synthetic wig or a natural hair wig, below are some of the accessories you should keep in your collection at all times:
- Styling rollers. You never know when you might want to add a little fluff or some waves or curls to your wig, and when this happens, a good set of styling rollers can be a miracle worker. The good thing is, you don’t even have to use heat or worry about damaging the wig to get these curls because you can use a set of soft rollers that don’t leave creases in the hair and will always come in the exact size you need. They are also very inexpensive, especially if you get the foam rollers or bendable rollers, both of which are made to give you big waves or smaller waves easily and quickly.
- T pins. T pins are a must if you style your wig regularly because they hold the wig in place so that you can style, curl, or brush your wig without worrying about it slipping and messing up your design. Most mannequins come with a few T pins, but you might want to go ahead and buy some additional ones anyway to make sure you have enough of them. T pins are well-made and very inexpensive, so you should be able to buy them very inexpensively. Considering how easy they are to lose, this is never a bad idea!
- Wig brushes and combs. Again, make sure these accessories are made just for wigs, and you’ll never have to worry about the brushes and combs damaging the wig or tearing the strands out because you’re not using the right tool. If you need to get tangles out, wig brushes and combs make a big difference because they are made to brush out tangles, remove knots, and generally just keep your wig looking great. They are sturdy yet gentle tools that won’t wreak havoc on your wig, regardless of what type of hair it has.
5-6｜Wig Travel Box/Case
If you travel a lot, you’ll need a good case to place your wig in before you get on the plane or in your car. Many wig travel cases are made to fit all sizes of wigs, so if you wear more than one wig, you don’t have to buy several different cases. They are lightweight, flexible, and usually made out of materials such as nylon, meaning your wig will be well-protected. They usually have an easy zipper opening and even a mirror on the inside, not to mention a convenient handle that makes carrying it from one location to the next very easy. Best of all, a good wig travel case is usually in the $20 to $25 price range, so you won’t break the bank just to get a sturdy, high-quality case. The cases also do a great job of protecting your wig so that it looks great every time you get it out of the box, leaving you with the peace of mind you deserve.
Perfect for rolling up and placing in your suitcase, these cases are big enough to protect your wig but not so big that they are cumbersome and difficult to carry around with you. Even if you only travel occasionally, you’ll need a good wig box because it is the best way to make sure your wig stays looking great regardless of where you’re headed. In addition to a nylon outer covering, most of them have a hard type of plastic on the inside to keep the wig in one position as you travel, preventing it from bending and folding as you travel and looking like a mess once you get to your destination. All in all, purchasing one of these cases is never a bad idea because above all else, it prevents a lot of worrying on your part as you travel from one place to the next.
5-7｜Butterfly Hair Clips
If you plan on styling your wig, even if you only do it occasionally, you’ll need clamps or hair clips so that the task is a lot easier. You can easily get a set of clips for around $6 to $7, and you’ll be able to use them for basic styling, sectioning the hair off, clamping each piece down when you’re done with it, and even if you decide to cut or color the wig. With most styles, the job is done in sections, and you’ll need the clips to hold down the nearby sections that you aren’t working with at the moment. The clamps are usually made out of sturdy plastic, although they can be made out of other materials, and are usually available in numerous colors, so they are both useful and a lot of fun to work with. Hair clips provide two main advantages when you’re styling your wig: they are sturdy enough to last through whatever you need to do, and they won’t pull or damage the hair as you work.
Best of all, hair clips are both easy to find and provide a secure grip, which is crucial when you’re styling a wig. You can find them at department stores, discount stores, and of course, beauty supply stores, and even at big-name stores they cost very little. Styling your wig right is important, which is why buying yourself a set of well-made hair clips is something you need to do right away when you own a wig.
5-8｜Basic Hair Cleaning Supplies
Even though the hair on your wig isn’t living or growing, that doesn’t mean you never have to wash it or take care of it. Indeed, wigs get dirty for a variety of reasons, but not to worry because wig companies usually make a variety of products to keep your wig looking its best. This includes shampoo, conditioner, detangler, and many other cleaning and styling products that you’ll soon learn you can’t live without. Fortunately, most of these products are both easy to use and reasonably priced, and since you usually don’t have to wash wigs nearly as often as you do the hair on your head, they should last for a very long time. Even better is the fact that the companies that make these products make the right products for both synthetic wigs and wigs with natural hair on them, so you’ll always be able to find just what you need to make your wig look fantastic.
They also make a lot of the same products for wigs as they do for regular hair, including heat treatments if you use a blow dryer or curling iron frequently, various leave-in treatments, intensive therapy treatments that deep condition the hair, and even sprays and serums to keep your wig looking good month after month, year after year. Naturally, there are products specifically made for both synthetic hair and natural hair, and it’s imperative that you use the right products so you don’t damage the wig and render it unusable from that point on.
5-9｜Miscellaneous Tools and Accessories
If you’re thinking these are the only wig accessories and tools to consider, think again. From wig gaps to blow dryers and everything in between, it can take a lot of different products to keep your wig looking great, and this includes the following items:
- A good hair dryer. No, it doesn’t have to be the most expensive or most powerful one on the market. You can buy an inexpensive blow dryer if you want; just make sure it gets hot enough to accommodate the type of wig you own. Blow dryers are definitely essential styling tools!
- A stand for your mannequin. This isn’t a necessity but it makes working with your wig and styling it a whole lot easier. Plus, they come in many different styles to fit all mannequins.
- Glue or tape. Most people put their wigs on with either glue or tape. Both have pros and cons, so you’ll want to review each of them to determine which one is right for you.
- Wig caps, liners, bands, or grips. In other words, you’ll need something to put on your head first so that you can get a better and more secure fit once you put the wig on your head.
- Wig drying stand. When you wash your wig, a wire stand is perfect for letting it dry. Using a mannequin can ruin the mannequin with continued use, but a wire drying stand will be just perfect for the task.
5-10｜Just the Basics
If you’re new to wig ownership, all of this might feel a little overwhelming, but it really isn’t all that difficult. If you’re interested in getting just the basics for now – remember that you can easily add other items later on – think of it in categories. For instance, make sure you have at least a few of the following items to start out with:
- Basic styling accessories. This includes brushes and combs, rollers, and T pins.
- Wig grips or caps. Remember, most women choose some type of cap to place on their head before they put the wig on because these items keep the wig on straight, keep it from slipping off, and simply make it look much more natural.
- Wig storage items. When you’re not wearing your wig, you’ll have to have a way to store it and keep it safe until the next time you use it. This can include mannequin heads, wig stands, mannequin stands, and/or a travel box or case for when you’re away from home.
Are these the only items you’ll ever have to buy for your wigs? Probably not, but they’re a great start. Starting out with just the basics is smart for a lot of reasons, but mostly because if you rush out and try to get everything you can think of right away, it can get quite expensive. For example, if you don’t travel much, you might as well skip the travel cases and the travel-sized hair care supplies and save yourself a lot of money. Getting the basics such as brushes, combs, clips, and so on, shouldn’t cost you much, and you can always add other items later on as the need arises. You can also save yourself some money by researching wig supply stores online, where they tend to have the biggest selection of products and the best prices.
6｜How to Wash a Wig and Wig Maintenance Methods
If you wear a wig, you already know that taking good care of it is a must. Just the same as your regular hair, wigs need to be cared for regularly or they simply won’t look natural. They also won’t last nearly as long, so regularly washing and caring for your wig is crucial for many reasons. And it is the same whether your wig is made out of natural hair or synthetic hair, because both types need excellent care if they’re going to look good and last you for a very long time.
The very first thing that you need to do is learn how to wash a wig properly, but do not worry because it is much easier than you think. In fact, many of the steps that you take when washing your wig are the same as caring for your own hair. If you want to stop knots from occurring, reduce matting, keep it from getting frizzy, and keep the wig’s luster and natural look, good wig care is a necessity and we’re going to show you how to do just that.
6-1｜How to Clean Your Wig
One of the first things that you need to know about washing your wig is that regular hair care products, such as the ones you use on your own hair, should never be used on a wig. That’s right; even if you have a natural hair wig, you still should not use your standard shampoos and conditioners on it. In fact, you’ll need not just products that are made just for wigs, but tools made for wigs as well. When you have a natural hair wig, the hair has been processed and dyed before they made it into a wig, and this weakens the hair strands. And since the strands are more delicate, you can’t wash the wig just the same as you would your own hair.
Before we go any further, if you’re wondering how often to wash a natural hair wig, you should aim for once every 7 to 14 days. That being said, if you wear your wig every day and you live in a humid climate or you tend to sweat a lot, you can wash it more often than that. Everyday washing is not necessary, but regular washing is. And when it comes to washing a wig made out of natural hair, these are the steps to take:
- With a wig comb, comb through the wig gently to get any knots out of it. If it’s a curly wig, don’t use the comb; instead, run your fingers through it to get all of the tangles out of it.
- Fill a bowl or sink up with cold water, then add one tablespoon (or less) to the water. Make sure that the water is not warm or hot because it can damage the hair fibers.
- Turn your wig inside out and submerge the entire thing in the water. Swirl it around to make sure that the entire wig is wet, then let it sit for five minutes but no longer.
- After five minutes, drain the bowl or sink, then run the wig under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Make sure that the bowl or sink is clean, then add a tablespoon of wig conditioner to the wig and run your fingers through it to make sure that all parts of the wig get the conditioner. Place the wig in the bowl or sink and leave it there for two minutes.
- Rinse out the wig thoroughly until the water runs clear.
- Take a dry towel and gently squeeze the excess water out of the wig.
- Spray the wig with a conditioning spray, then place it on your wig stand.
- Make sure that the wig is completely dry before you style, brush, or comb it.
One of the reasons why you cannot use regular hair products on wigs is because these products can make the hair frizzy or even frayed. Synthetic wigs especially are similar to lace; in other words, wig hair strands are delicate and can be easily damaged by regular hair care products and by tools used on regular hair. If you have a synthetic wig and you’re interested in washing it, the steps are the same as those above except for the first step. In Step 1 of washing a synthetic wig, you’ll use a brush to get the knots out of a wig that is made out of straight hair and a comb to get the knots out of a curly wig. You don’t have to use your fingers to get rid of knots in a curly hair synthetic wig. The remaining steps are the same.
6-2｜What About Extensions?
Learning how to wash a wig and how to wash hair extensions are two different things. You won’t be able to remove extensions as you do your wig, but a lot of the rules that apply to wigs apply to those extensions as well. With extensions, you’ll have to make sure that you use a shampoo and conditioner that is free of sulfates, fragrances, and anything else that is bad for hair. Ideally, you should look for shampoo and conditioner that is both sulfate- and fragrance-free and is a hydrating product as well. In other words, you want a healthy shampoo and conditioner for your extensions because you’ll be looking for products that do the least amount of damage to those extensions, regardless of what type of hair they’re made of.
One of the main differences between hair care for wigs and that for extensions is the frequency that you’ll be washing the extensions. Rather than weekly or bi-weekly, extensions should be washed every two days, or even every day. Why? Because extensions tangle and frizz more than regular hair does; therefore, they need more frequent care. Here are the steps to take when you wish to wash your hair extensions:
Keep a brush or comb with you at all times so that you can untangle the extension when you need to. To untangle it, just hold the extension above where the tangle is and use a brush to get the tangles out of it. If you do this when you first notice the tangle and before it gets too bad, it will be a lot easier to keep your hair extensions smooth and tangle-free.
- Keep a brush or comb with you at all times so that you can untangle the extension when you need to. To untangle it, just hold the extension above where the tangle is and use a brush to get the tangles out of it. If you do this when you first notice the tangle and before it gets too bad, it will be a lot easier to keep your hair extensions smooth and tangle-free.
- It is harder to get tangles out of extensions than it is regular hair, but the tangles need to be removed before you wash them. If you must brush out the extension, take extra care so that you don’t pull at the weave itself because this can cause damages to it.
- Step into the shower and turn the water on cool or cold. Wet the hair thoroughly, then put about a tablespoon of shampoo into your hair and wash it in a downward motion. When you get to the weave, gently press the shampoo into the weave without rubbing or pulling at it.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly using cool or cold water. Then repeat the process using your conditioner.
- When you’re out of the shower, take a cotton towel (cotton does the least amount of damage) and gently pat the hair to squeeze out the excess water. Never rub or tug at the hair.
- As your hair is drying, spray a bit of hydrating spray on your scalp and make sure that it gets on the weave. This way, the weave will stay soft and supple instead of tight and hard.
- At this point, if you have a synthetic weave, let it air dry. For a weave made out of natural hair, you can either let it air dry or blow dry it on a very low heat.
6-3｜Regular Maintenance Is Important
If you’ve spent a lot of money on your wig, or even if you haven’t, you likely realize how important it is to keep the wig well maintained. Just as with the hair on your head, you can’t neglect your wig day after day and expect it to look great once you decide to wear it. Instead, it takes regular maintenance to keep your wig looking its best and to keep it around much longer. Fortunately, maintenance of your wig isn’t all that time-consuming, but it is still crucial to keep your wig well-maintained. Below are a few tips to help you do just that.
- Don’t be a stranger to your hair stylist. Professional hairdressers know how to take care of hair, including hair on a wig. When you first get your wig, make an appointment and let your hairdresser make suggestions for taking good care of your wig. You can get advice, tips, and recommendations, and they may even style it for you so you’ll know what you’re doing when it’s your turn.
- Don’t skimp when it comes to products and tools. This is something else that cannot be overstated: you must use shampoos, conditioners, combs, and brushes that are specifically made for wigs, and for the type of wig that you own. Shampoos and conditioners made for hair usually contain harsh chemicals that can wreak havoc on a wig, and combs and brushes can damage the wig. Some of these items cost a little more than you might think, but they are well worth it in the end because your wig will last a lot longer and look amazing in the meantime.
- In between uses, make sure that the wig is upright and covered. Since heat and wigs do not go together well, you should keep your wig in a cool place and always -- always -- make sure that the wig is on a mannequin. If you live in a dry area, you can use a humidifier or you can use a dehumidifier if you live in especially humid areas. Just keep the wig on a mannequin and in a cool room when it’s not on your head, and it will last much longer and look better in the meantime.
- Make sure that you continue to take good care of your own hair. A lot of women think that since they wear wigs so often, they don’t have to take good care of their real hair, but this just isn’t the case. Your wig will be more comfortable to wear when you take care of your hair and scalp, so never neglect your own tresses.
- Make sure you wash and condition your wig regularly. Again, this cannot be overstated. The more you care for your wigs, the better it will look month after month and the longer it will last. It’s just that simple. And while you’re at it, don’t forget that you should never rub or tug at the wig like you do with your own hair whenever you wash it. Follow the washing techniques mentioned earlier to the letter.
- Never take a shower or sleep with your wig on. There are lots of reasons for this, the most important being that this allows the wig to last a lot longer. You can also suffer with “wig hair,” which is even worse than regular “bed hair!”
- Try not to wear your wig every day. Simply put, wearing your wig less often will make it last longer, so if you do intend to wear your wig daily, consider buying two or more wigs and switching them out day after day. Another advantage of giving your wig a breather, so to speak, is that it’s easier to wash and condition your wig on the days when you’re not wearing it.
- Use only styling products specifically made for wigs. Some people love styling products such as Elnett Satin, with its fine mist and light feel, but don’t use them on your wigs. Yes, you’ll want to style your wig and get it to look like your natural hair, but don’t use regular hair care products to do this. In fact, most hair products found at the drugstore or salon should be avoided. If it’s not made for wig care, don’t even think about buying it!
6-4｜Extension Maintenance Is Just as Important
If you’re wearing hair extensions, they cannot be ignored either. Just as with wigs, you’ll need to take good care of them on a regular basis just the same as you would a wig so that they continue to look good and last awhile. And it’s fairly simple to do so because all you have to do is follow these steps:
- Brush your hair regularly. This includes daily brushings, but a good brushing is especially important right after you take out your extensions. Paddle brushes can be used for extensions with a straight style, while it’s best to use a detangling brush or a wide-tooth comb for curly extensions. If you do this regularly, your extensions won’t have a chance to get into knots, and when they do, the knots won’t be nearly as severe.
- Make sure that your extensions are applied correctly. There are many different types of hair extensions, but allowing a professional to install the extensions will make sure that they look natural once the process is complete. If you try to do it yourself and you don’t know what you’re doing, it can actually damage your hair, so let a real pro do the job.
- Never neglect your own hair and scalp. Some women think that because they are wearing hair extensions, they no longer have to pay attention to their real hair, but this is definitely not the case. Continue to wash and care for your hair, and especially your scalp, as long as you’re wearing extensions.
- Product is good, unless it’s too much. While using shampoo and conditioner for your extensions is a must, don’t go overboard with the styling products. Use the basic products, i.e., the products you need to keep the hair looking its best, but not so much that the product builds up on the extensions and makes them look dull and lifeless.
- Replace your extensions regularly. Depending on the type you buy and how fast your own hair grows, the timeframe will vary from person to person, but as a general rule, hair extensions should be replaced every six to eight weeks. Some of them, however, will last for six months, but replacing them more frequently will guarantee that your hairstyle always looks great.
- Sleep on a pillowcase made out of either satin or silk so your extension doesn’t dry out or knot up. You can also tie your hair in two very loose pigtail braids before going to bed. Do not put your hair in a top bun, a low bun, or just let it flow freely. All of these actions will result in the extension becoming knotted as you sleep.
As you can see, learning how to wash a wig and care for it is important, but regular maintenance of both your wigs and your extensions is just as crucial. Fortunately, these steps are neither time-consuming nor expensive, so it should be very simple for you to take good care of these items.
6-5｜Introduction to Wig Hair Care Products
So, we’ve talked about using hair care products made just for wigs, but what exactly does that mean? While it’s true that you shouldn’t go overboard with wig hair products, especially styling products, below are a few of the “must have” products that you need to have on hand if you want to keep your wig looking its best:
Shampoo and conditioner:
Aside from finding a shampoo and conditioner made specifically for wigs, you also need to find products made for your type of wig, meaning synthetic or natural hair. You have to use the right product for that type of hair, and you also need to make sure that you follow all of the directions to the letter. This is important because each product’s directions for use will be a bit different than the next one, and using the products incorrectly means that you won’t get the results you want and deserve.
This product normally comes in a spray so it is easily applied. After you shampoo and condition your wig, spraying a leave-in conditioner onto the wig helps keep it soft and natural looking. Just spray two or three sprays onto the wig, then use a wig comb or your fingers to come through the hair so that all of the tangles are removed.
Intensive recovery mask:
Just the same as the hair on your head, your wig can start to look dry and dull after a while. When this happens, a recovery mask is a great solution. This is not a product you’ll want to use regularly; you should only use it as needed. You simply apply the mask, leave it in for five to ten minutes, then rinse it out without pulling or rubbing the wig too much. After you rinse the mask out, leave it alone for a while and don’t comb or fool with it too much.
Wig shine spray:
This is yet another product that you won’t want to use on a daily basis (with most brands, anyway), but it is specifically made to give the wig its shiny look back. Just hold the bottle six to eight inches away from the wig and spray, then use a comb or your fingers to make sure that the product gets all the way through the strands.
There are also several serums and hair sprays specifically made for both natural hair and synthetic wigs. The important things to remember include:
- NEVER use hair care products that are not specifically made for wigs or hair extensions
- ALWAYS use the products according to the directions included on the packaging
Keep in mind that most of these products are not made for daily use. The manufacturer’s instructions will let you know how often you can use each product, and you should always abide by those instructions. Remember that too much product may damage the wig or make it look lifeless, or even damage it in some cases. This is why, while regular washing and conditioning is crucial, it’s best not to use the other wig products on a daily basis.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Where Does Wig Hair Come From?
A: High-quality wigs use human hair. This industry is quite lucrative, and much of the hair comes from India and China. Some people go to temples to shave their heads, and the hair is sold at auction. People in Asia also save their hair from their combs and the detangling process to sell it to peddlers. It is taken to a hair-untangling workshop in Bangladesh, where it is made into standard wigs.
Once they have the hair, they process it. The hair can be treated with chemicals to remove the cuticles, or they can leave it natural. China is the largest processor of human hair, and the United States and Europe are the largest consumers.
Q: How Much Do Wigs Cost?
A: The cost of buying a wig made from human hair ranges from $700 to $3000 or more. You can pay a little less for synthetic hair. When you buy the best-quality wigs, you will pay more money. You can also buy synthetic wigs, which usually come already styled. As technology improves, it is possible to get synthetic hair that looks similar to natural hair and is good quality.
Another factor in the cost of a wig is the construction of the cap. The most realistic caps are lace front or monofilament. These types are natural-looking and allow you to try out different styles. You will pay more when you buy a higher-quality wig.
If you are buying a clip-in extension or ponytail, you will pay less money, but for a full wig with a lace cap, you will pay more. If you buy a less expensive wig, it is likely to have a shorter lifespan, so that factors into your overall cost.
Q: How Much Are Wig Installs?
A: If you go to a professional for a wig install, you will spend between $150 and $300. When you get a full top wig, you will want it installed by a professional. They will make sure that the wig looks natural and stays in place for the maximum time. You can find places that will charge more for an install, but this is the average. Make sure that you are happy with the style, length, and color of the wig before you install it because it can last for several weeks.
Q: How long does a wig typically last?
A: Lots of things affect the lifespan of a wig, but as a general rule, a natural hair wig usually lasts a little more than a year, while synthetic wigs usually last around six months. That being said, certain factors may make those time frames shorter. For instance, if you have a heat-friendly synthetic wig and you use curling or straightening irons on a regular basis, they usually won’t last a full six months. Also, these times are just averages, so your own wig may last shorter or longer than these time frames.
Q: Can you comb or brush wigs?
A: Yes, but a few rules apply. It has to be a tool made not just for wigs, but for the particular type of wig you have. Never use a comb or brush made for a synthetic wig on a natural hair wig, and vice versa. If you stick to the tools made specifically for the type of wig you own, the wig is much less likely to be damaged and should last a lot longer.
Q: How do I get a knot or tangle out of my wig?
A: First of all, only use tools made for wigs. Next, use a wide-tooth comb for detangling natural hair wigs and a paddle brush for detangling synthetic wigs. If your wig is wavy or curly, use your fingers as much as possible and only use a wide-tooth comb if severe tangles appear. You can brush knots out of hair extensions with a brush, but be careful not to touch the weave itself.
Q: Are Wig Caps Bad for Your Hair?
A: Some people prefer a wig with a wig cap as a protective barrier to their scalp. This is especially true when people have hair loss and a sensitive scalp. If you don’t have any hair, the wig cap can help hold the wig in place throughout the day.
If you have hair, a wig cap can help to smooth out bumps in your hair and keep your hair in place. It helps to create a more natural look. However, there are some downsides. Some people find that a wig cap makes them too hot. Others find that they can be too tight.
A wig cap can damage your hair and your scalp. If you get too hot and sweat, your scalp can get irritated. Most wig caps are made of cotton or nylon, which can rub and dry out your hair, leading to damage.
Q: Are Wig Caps Reusable?
A: If you buy a good-quality wig cap, you can reuse it as long as it holds its shape. When you clean it, you will normally hand wash it and air dry it. Mesh and cotton can be reused, but nylon caps usually come in packs of two. They don’t last as long, as they stretch out more quickly.
Q: How often do wigs and hair extensions need to be washed?
A: Most natural hair wigs can be washed every 7-14 days, more often if you live in a humid area or sweat a lot. Wigs made out of synthetic hair need to be washed more often -- generally once or twice a week. If you have hair extensions, you should plan to wash them every one or two days. Never over-wash your wigs because they may not last as long, but regular washing and conditioning is important.
Q: Can Wigs Cause Hair Loss?
A: People often want to know if wigs can cause hair loss. Many people say that it does. The fact is that a poorly constructed wig worn incorrectly can lead to hair loss. However, if you choose a quality wig and have it professionally installed, it doesn’t have to cause hair loss.
Many people use wigs when they are recovering from hair loss caused by cancer treatment, and their hair actually is protected by the wig and grows underneath it. The wig needs to fit properly. If it is too small, it will tug on any hair that you have underneath. Once you have the right size, you will want to make sure that you have a wig that allows your hair to breathe. Good-quality wigs are lighter and made to protect your hair and your scalp underneath.
You can also wear a wig cap as a barrier. One option is to use a silk wig cap, which will reduce friction and help your hair retain its natural oils. If you are concerned about hair loss, make sure that you choose a wig that doesn’t use clips or glue on your scalp. You can use water-soluble glue and glue the wig in front of your hairline so that it doesn’t damage your hair.
Finally, make sure that you take care of your hair and your scalp. You still need to wash it and condition it, and you should trim it to keep the ends healthy. You can also gently massage your head before and after using your wig to increase blood flow and keep your hair healthy and strong.
Other Recommended Reading
※Non-commercial reproduction is welcome. Please acknowledge the source and include a link to this article when reprinting.